Lemon & Herb Savory Braised Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes
TGIF!! 🎉 This savory one-pot goodness is one of my favorite dishes! It’s a must try! 😊
Yields: 2 persons | Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Adapted from: Emeril Lagasse’s, “Emeril 20-40-60 Fresh Food Fast”
2 leg quarters, trimmed of any excess fat or skin
1 Tbsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 c + 1 tsp, all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 sprigs of thyme
1 1/2 c chicken stock or canned
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
5 cherry tomatoes
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (1/2 medium lemon)
salt and pepper to taste
steamed white rice, for serving
1. Season the chicken all over with the garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Place the 1/4 cup flour in a small bowl, and quickly dredge both sides of each thigh in the flour, shaking to remove any excess. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 10- to 12-inch flameproof casserole or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter, and when it has melted, place the chicken, skin side down, in the pan. Brown for 2 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the pan, and when it has melted, add the onions, garlic, thyme bundle, lemon zest, remaining 1 teaspoon flour then whisk in the chicken stock and increase the heat to high. Return the chicken, skin side down, to the pan, and bring the stock to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan with a heavy, tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Uncover the pan, stir the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching, and turn the chicken skin side up. Cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
5. Stir the bottom of the pan a final time, add tomatoes & lemon juice, add salt & pepper to taste, cover, and simmer for 20 more minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and discard the herb bundle. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Add the parsley to the sauce, stir to combine, and then spoon the sauce over the chicken. Serve with steamed white rice.
Bon Appetit! 🍴